Meet Carla. We became friends as toddlers. These days, She is the Registered Dietitian for several Genesis Health Clubs. She let me attend a seminar she gave for an ongoing fitness and weight loss challenge at her gym this week. These are a few of the tips I gleaned. I highlighted my favorites.
Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle: Behavior Change
- Eat more during the day and less at night. Think: “food is our fuel“
- Don’t skip meals
- Eat smaller portions 5-6 times per day
- 5-9 servings of veggies are recommended per day.
- Plan ahead. Plan meals a week to 3 days ahead of time.
- As a weight loss goal, focus on eating more fruits and vegetables . You will naturally cut down on less healthy foods because you’re full.
- Write everything down that you eat and drink. Measure/weigh food amounts–serving sizes
- Logging food intake is the number one way to loose weight
- Focus on your food: Learn to like your food. Don’t idly eat while watching TV or sitting at desk or doing other activities.
- Start meals with low calorie foods first.
- Increase fiber (recommended 25g)
- Eat slowly
- It takes 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that you’re full.
- Drink water. Sometimes our brain interprets thirst as hunger.
- Wait at least 20 minutes before eating seconds
- Have an overarching goal
- meet your goal by mastering small steps (e.g. Eat breakfast. Eat 2 servings of fruit or veggies with every meal. Drink 12oz of water with each meal.)
My personal healthy living goal for this week is: Eat fruits and veggies with every meal. –Focus on getting the nutrients my body needs to stay healthy (My hope is that this will result in less donuts, chips, and brownie mix in my meals).