“ScAWns” (in honor of the British) translation: Scones
Firstly, let me note that this recipe came from an online site, which I can’t remember and have changed a bit to correspond with the ingredients I normally have on hand.
Secondly, I will suggest this recipe as a complement to TV series such as Downton Abbey, Sherlock Holmes, Call the Midwife, and a slew of other Masterpiece Theatre programs.
(click image to watch Downton)
(click image to watch Sherlock)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 table spoons unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup FUN (blueberries, chocolate chip, dried any fruit)
1/2 greek yogurt
1 large egg
1. In one bowl, combine dry ingredients.
2. In another bowl, combine wet ingredients.
3. Grate frozen butter into dry ingredients. Using a fork, mix until mealy in texture.
4. Add wet ingredients slowly. Mix with fork until mostly combined. Add FUN/ mix-in
5. Form into triangles or desired shape on baking sheet. (it may be worthwhile to grease sheet)
6. Bake at 400 degrees F (sometimes I bake them at 375) for 15 to 20 minutes or until they can be pierced with a toothpick without leaving residue.